Banana Split Creme Brulee

One of my favorite movies in childhood was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.


And today, I made Banana-Split Crème Brulee. 

It is the best! And here’s why :
- It is French
- It has chocolate
- It has Bananas
It has Strawberries
- It has a caramelized top layer
- It is creamy and smooth as silk in the inside
- It is irresistibly tasty aaannnnddddd
- I got to use my kitchen torch! :D :D :D

Crème Brulee (Krem-Broo-Lay) sounds utterly delicious and stylish. Doesn’t it? Well anything French sounds stylish to me.

When I saw a crème Brulee ramekin and torch set in the shop, I immediately bought it because, according to me, it is just the most essential kitchen tool; everyone must have one. Since I bought it (which was 6 months ago), I have to say, it has not even seen my kitchen (congratulations to my husband who warned me about this). Straight from the shop to the storage basket.

Don’t blame me! We all make these buy-in-the-spur-of-the-moment mistakes and forget about it the next hour. But guess what? I finally had the time and motivation to use it and this is what I created! 


The Banana-Split Crème Brulee is the classic French dessert with a major twist. I love the science behind this popular dessert. It’s amazing how eggs and milk combined together become this silky custard under heat and how crystallized sugar burns and melts into this drool-worthy caramel layer.
 I adopted these methods and added chocolate in the custard, banana to the caramel layer and strawberries on top and I JUST LOVE IT!  

That’s just how Willy Wonka would’ve liked it! :D

THE RECIPE

Category: Dessert
Servings:  4

1 cup = 200 ml

Ingredients:
 - 1 whole egg
 - 3 egg yolks
 - 300 ml heavy cream (35% fat content)
 - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
 - 60 grams white sugar
 - 40 grams brown sugar
 - 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
 - 1 banana
 - 2 tablespoons strawberry syrup

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. In a bowl, mix the whole eggs, egg yolks, cocoa powder and sugar, and gently mix until the sugar is dissolved. The mixture should not be whisked vigorously and should remain pale yellow.
  3. In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream until just warm (you should be able to put a finger in). Add the vanilla extract and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside for about 5 minutes to infuse well. 
  4. Pour the milk through a sieve into the sugar and egg mixture slowly. Don't pour all the milk at once as it will cook the eggs (which we don't want). Also, make sure there are not bubbles or froth at the top. 
  5. Pour this custard mix into the ramekins. Pour up to a 1/4 inch from top of ramekin.
  6. In a deep and large oven tray, place the ramekins and slowly pour hot water in the tray until the water reaches half way up of the ramekins. Avoid splashing water into the ramekins or custard mixture.
  7. Carefully, slide the oven tray in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. The custard is cooked when it looks hard on the sides and wobbly in the center. Can also be checked by inserting a toothpick in the center. 
  8. Remove the ramekins from the oven, let cool for about 20 minutes and then refrigerate them for 2 - 3 hours before serving. 
  9. Before serving, remove from refrigerator. Cut a banana into thin round slices and place them on top of the custard to form layer. Now sprinkle brown sugar in equal amounts on the banana layer.
  10. Using a small, hand-held torch melt the sugar until a burnt caramel is made. If you don't have a torch, place ramekins under broiler 2 to 3 inches from the heat source. Turn on broiler and cook until sugar melts and browns or even blackens a bit, about 5 minutes. 
  11. Pour 1 tablespoon of strawberry syrup on the caramelized sugar and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts